“The Poseidon Adventure” by Burlesque of North America.
The Blog is a big fan of the movies. And The Blog is a big fan of movie poster art.
Which means the announcement of the third annual Rolling Roadshow tour was cause for a lot of excitement.
So you’re saying to yourself, “Self, what is the Rolling Roadshow?” Well, it’s a nationwide tour of classic movies put on by the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Austin, Texas. The good folks at Alamo tour the country each summer screening famous movies in the famous places where they were filmed.
Some past highlights? How about “Field of Dreams” at the actual Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa, with Kevin Costner attending? Or “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” underneath the “Save Ferris” water tower? Or “Escape From Alcatraz” — on Alcatraz Island in San Fran? Or one of The Blog’s personal faves, “The Goonies” in Astoria, Ore., with Mouth (Corey Feldman) on hand for a post-screening Q&A! Pretty cool, huh?!?
But what also makes this Rolling Roadshow thing so great is that each movie screening gets its own limited-edition, silkscreened poster recreation designed by some of the best poster artists in the business. So you get to see Jay Ryan‘s take on “Ferris.” Or the Decoder Ring Design Concern‘s take on “Field of Dreams.” Or Stainboy‘s take on “Alcatraz.”
This year’s films are fantastic, to say the least. And as The Blog’s good friends at gig poster design company Mile 44 pointed out, the potential for some ridiculously cool posters this year is off the charts.
- “Fandango,” July 18, San Elizario (Texas) Plaza: Kevin Costner’s first starring role.
- “Friday,” July 20, Helen Keller Park, 126th Street and S. Vermont, South Central L.A.: C’mon … when are you gonna see a movie outside in South Central ever again?!?
- “Lost Boys,” July 25, Santa Cruz (Calif.) Beach Boardwalk: Rumor has it The Coreys (Haim and Feldman) will be there for a Q&A!
- “Stand By Me,” July 28, Brownsville, Ore.: All-day event will include a sanctioned blueberry pie eating contest!
- “North by Northwest,” July 31, Mt. Rushmore, S.D.: Imagine watching the finale with Lincoln’s nose on the screen … and also right behind the screen!
- “Goldfinger,” Aug. 3, Fort Knox: Vintage Bond movie screened at Fort Knox, with ultra-high security in tow, we’re quite sure.
- “A Christmas Story,” Aug. 5, Cleveland: The Blog’s personal fave this year. And confirmation is already in that poster design legend Jay Ryan is designing the poster!
- John Waters Marathon, Aug. 10, Baltimore: “Hairspray,” “Polyester,” “Desperate Living” and “Pink Flamingos” are on tap for this dusk-to-dawn session.
- “Deliverance,” Aug. 12, Clayton, Ga.: Lonnie the Banjo Player will be on hand for a Q&A!
- Burt Reynolds Marathon, Aug. 14, Starlight Six Drive-in, Atlanta: “Smokey and the Bandit,” “Sharkey’s Machine” and “White Lightning.”
- “Smokey and the Bandit,” Aug. 15, Four State Fairgrounds, Texarkana: Vintage Burt.
So there ya have it. The Blog will keep you posted on the posters. And if one of these classics is playing near you, we encourage you to head on out for the screening — and let us know if you’re gonna be there. We might just need you to pick up a poster for us!